Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cervidil, Pitocin and Contractions, OH MY! : A Birth Story Part Two

We arrived at Moses Taylor around 5pm - with enough stuff to last us a week - a bag for each of us, pillows, blankets... we looked like we were taking a week vacation!

As soon as I got there I was told to change and was immediately put on a monitor for L's heartbeat - and the IV was inserted - looking back, that IV insertion hurt worse than actually having L! I think the girl just sucked at doing it - OUCH.

We had tons of paperwork to fill out - including newspaper annoncements and birth certificate application - still cannot believe this was happening. "Luciana Emilia Santarelli" was proudly written on the paperwork - so final, but I just knew it would be perfect.

At 7pm Dr. came in and inserted the first round of Cervidil - since my process was 0% started he told me there was a good chance that two rounds would be necessary - that was 24 hours of just sitting there. Jim and I watched some movies and our parents came to visit. My mom brought tons and tons of snacks - unfortunately they wouldnt let me eat anything after dinner besides some grapes but it was nice to have stuff for guests to much on.

There I was stuck in bed for 24 hours wearing nothing but a crap-tastic hospital gown, I even asked the nurse if I could wear my pj bottoms since I had company all the time and went to be the bathroom more times than I did my entire pregnancy.  That was a big fat NO. She shot me down real fast. Bummer.

Around 1am was when I started getting contractions - I was afraid I would never know what they were or realize I was having them but OH BOY - YOU KNOW. Gut wrenching pain which shot around to my back (the back labor stayed consistant throughout the entire labor/delivery) happening so frequently I was sure we were making serious progress - the nurse took the first round out after 12 hours, 0.5cm dialated - SERIOUSLY?! THIS was going to be a loooooong process.

Needless to say, I got zero sleep that night - hey, couldve been the monitors strapped on my body which had to keep getting adjusted by the nurse everytime L or I moved, or maybe it was the ignorant nurses at the desk outside my room who dont realize that people are trying to sleep and were chit-chatting like ignorant bitches? hmm.. or maybe a mix of the two? Yes. Definitly, a mix of the two.

Round 2 of cervidil and consistant contractions - tons of visitors and me just laying in bed consumed the next 12 hours - I was able to eat meals though, which was nice! At 7pm they took the 2nd round out and let me walk around for a little while - and I mean a little while, maybe 10min max which was horrible since I layed in bed for a day I felt so sluggish and exhausted.. I was able to shower which made me feel a little better - when is this going to be over? or atleast when is the fun stuff going to start!!?

Sooner than I thought - by 8pm I was on pitocin - NOW comes the fun..

Not the best pic, but its the only one I have of us pre-chaos. Our last "just us" pic ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment